Roger Federer has withdrawn from the Tokyo Olympic Games due to a setback with his knee.

The 39-year-old, who has already had two knee operations during 2020, lost to Poland's Hubert Hurkacz in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon.

In a statement on Tuesday, July 13, he said his body is not in the right place for another Olympic medal bid.

"Due to the grass-court season, I unfortunately experienced a setback with my knee and have accepted that I must withdraw from the Tokyo Olympic Games," Federer said on social media.

"I am greatly disappointed, as it has been an honour and highlight of my career each time I have represented Switzerland.

"I have already begun rehabilitation in the hopes of returning to the tour later this summer. I wish the entire Swiss team the best of luck and I will be rooting hard from afar. As always, Hopp Schwiz!"

Federer joins a number of other male players who will not be taking part in the event, which starts on Saturday, August 24 and will be played behind closed doors.

Prior to the Wimbledon, Rafael Nadal took the decision to withdraw from the Championships and also the Olympic Games in order to try and extend his time in the game.

"The goal is to prolong my career and continue to do what makes me happy," Nadal said. "That is to compete at the highest level and keep fighting for those professional and personal goals at the maximum level of competition."

Nick Kyrgios also announced his withdrawal at the end of last week, and Dominic Thiem will not be there either due to a right wrist injury.